I'd like to start out by offering a great big THANK YOU and HELLO! to the kind people following my ramblings on this blog. I appreciate all three of you!
Now that that's out of the way, I'd like to say a bit about why I'm here. I am a naturopathic doctor. Who graduated less than a month ago. And my schedule isn't exactly full just yet.
So, what does one do with a 40-hour work week and three patients on the schedule? Well, this one is writing. I'm writing marketing materials, networking letters, patient summaries (count them: THREE!), website content, newspaper articles, lecture powerpoints...it's only fitting that my proverbial pen meander over into the blogosphere. And here I am.
Now, I certainly intend for this blog to eventually be a resource for my patients and a soundboard on which I can safely express my thoughts and feelings on controversial medical topics, but this relies heavily on my success as a naturopathic practitioner. Until then, I'm here, presumably with you, explaining exactly what it feels like to be a new doctor in an unpredictable economical and legal climate, with some comic relief sprinkled here and there.
It's interesting to note that not much, and SO much, has changed in the half-decade that has passed since these words were first digitally etched. I'm still a naturopathic doctor with no patients, although this is now by choice. I'm still writing and editing and marketing, although thankfully, not for myself. In the last five years, I've completed a residency, preceptored medical students, practiced in two states, operated a free clinic site, and completely snuffed out my love for my profession. Has that ever happened to you? Have you invested your entire educational career and $250K in a path of unfulfilment? Is that even a word? Don't get me wrong, I will always live naturopathically--it's pretty much in my blood now. I'll always look at ingredient lists and product labels, I'll always clean green, and wear nontoxic makeup, and cook with non-GMO and organic foods. I'll always reach for an herbal tincture or explore my homeopathy kit before I request an antibiotic. I just don't want to want to do this for money--and I am okay with that.
Here's the challenging part, though. What's next? I've literally overeducated myself. I've sent out about 300 resumes and cover letters since deciding to leave my profession, and even with a year of service with AmeriCorps, no one from any field outside of my own will consider me. So I'm here, home, meal planning and bill paying and laundry doing, and you know what? It's actually pretty nice! I'm realizing that I'm the luckiest person in the world to be given this opportunity to think and breathe and experience fully, so I'm taking this time to learn about stuff that's obscure and interesting (or not at all interesting), to become licensed as a foster parent, and to carefully build a life for my family that is full of wonder and joy. Talk about lemonade! Thanks, Bey, for the inspiration.
![]() |
| Obligatory pic of my awesome tri-pawed puppy and me. Obviously. |

No comments:
Post a Comment